Friday, September 16, 2005

Unfair towards Sania

Some awfully tough, and I think unfair, comments from Matthew Cronin at tennisreporters.net today about Sania Mirza:
"I like Sania Mirza quite a bit, even though she's a bit too arrogant for her Top 40-ranking. But the 19-year-old has to know that as a Muslim from Hindu-led India, she's going to be dealing with religious issues for the rest of her life, including her fashion choices. She's a national hero in short skirts, and the Islamic fundamentalists do not want her to exert any real influence on other young women who might get "heretical" ideas about dressing the way they want to.

To her credit, Sania has stuck up for the positive principles of her religion. But, the fact is, there are numerous negative ones, such as the existence of extremists who have declared a "fatwa" on her. That's when it's either time to stand up and say that your religious opponents are wrong and don't represent the thinking of many young Muslims, or you leave that religion. You cannot exists in the middle in these disputes, nor can you ignore them by saying "I'm an athlete and I don't want to discuss politics." Politics exist in every part of life, like it or not."

3 Comments:

Blogger lulu said...

hi adarsh
i found your blog from you your comment on my dad's blog (chumma chumma). i'm a HUGE fan of sania's so i'll be looking to your blog for the latest and greatest on her.

7:00 AM  
Blogger ipodmomma said...

cool blog... I first became aware of Sania this last June at Wimbledon... that's my favorite tournament. she was great, and I'm looking forward to her appearance there next year... it's great to see a different country and culture represented in a sport that I truly enjoy...

more power to her!

mollie

12:04 PM  
Blogger JDsg said...

Adarsh: Thanks for the links when you commented on my blog earlier today. I especially liked this article that you referred to, and may make some additional comments regarding it on my blog later, insha'allah.

Not to spam you, but I see that we have a common interest in the RMS Titanic. I have several pages devoted to the topic at this site that you might find of interest.

I've enjoyed your various blogs. Keep up the good work! :)

2:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Google